All requests for an Ark House apartment must be made through a social worker at the Dallas hospital where medical treatment is received. The social worker will verify the patient's need for low-cost housing and then contact the Ark House Occupancy volunteer.
If an apartment is available, an Ark House volunteer will contact the resident and provide the necessary directions and instructions. If an apartment is not available, the patient may request placement on the waiting list.
- Patients must be receiving active medical care at a Dallas area hospital for a prolonged and serious illness.
- The minimum stay is one week and the maximum stay is 90 days. Longer stays must receive approval from Ark House.
- The patient's permanent home must be a minimum of fifty miles from Dallas.
- Ark House reserves the right to verify medical appointments with medical service providers.
- No more than four persons may occupy an apartment.
- Ark House is a smoke free environment and no pets are allowed.
- Apartments are not fully handicap accessible.
- Ark House apartments are located near Highway 75 and Royal Lane.
- Travel time to hospitals depends on traffic conditions, but averages between fifteen and thirty minutes.
- The cost is $140.00 per week ($20.00 per night) payable by check, money order or credit card.
- Rent is paid in weekly increments.
- After the first week, refunds are made for any unused days.
- Ark House does not accept residents who have insurance that covers their housing expenses.
- A $100.00 security deposit is required. The deposit will be refunded if your stay is less than 91 days and the instructions in the "Going Home" section in the apartment notebook are followed.